Kugeyama Taikos Sample Library from Impact Soundworks
If you think taikos are just big things that go BOOM, here’s a library to disabuse you of that notion.
Actually, the picture of Isaku Kageyama playing here belies the subtle nature of this new Taiko library from Impact Soundworks. It’s quite a departure from Impact Soundworks’ Shreddage series, the outstanding war guitar library that first put the company on the map over a decade ago. (That link is to the original Shreddage, but they now have several more instruments in the family, along with a greatly expanded catalog.)
You can hear how refined this library is in the demos, which are quite tranquil and not at all bombastic – although there’s no reason you couldn’t make it go BOOM. The library includes eight instruments, played by Kagayama:
- Chudaiko: 18-inch mid-sized drum; crisp edge, rich resonant center
- Odaiko: 32-inch large drum; deep, booming sound with a dry edge, rich central wash
- Shime-Daiko: “Tightened” drum, higher register to soar over other percussion;
- Okedo (1.5 and 1.4): “Barrel” drum; heavy attack and clear definition
- Atarigane (Lo and Hi): Played with a mallet; clear, metallic sound
- Hyoshigi: Wood blocks; full, resonant sound
All the instruments are recorded solo and close in “an intimate studio space,” in much detail, from three mic positions. The library includes Impact Soundworks’ Console – a mixer and effects rack.
Kugeyama Taikos requires the full version of Native Instruments Kontakt.
Click here for the product page