4 analog ins x 8 outs, 8-channel lightpipe input, monitor control with talkback, two headphone outs, DC-coupled outs for creating CV signals, MIDI…
This new model from Solid State Logic looks like a lot more than an audio interface. Its control room features for routing and monitoring seem very well thought out, it has preamps with enough gain to power dynamic mics, and it has SSL modeling built into all four of its analog input channels.
And while we’d have to use the unit to determine its quality, the American $500 price seems quite reasonable, even if its add-on software bundle is only valid for three months (after which you have to subscribe).
Here’s the company release:
Oxford, England, December 1, 2022 — Solid State Logic announce that it is expanding its line of Audio Creation Products (ACP) with SSL 12. The new SSL 12, priced at £333 ex.VAT / €399 + tax / $499, is a 12-in 8-out USB bus-powered audio interface that combines truly professional features, performance, and flexibility in a portable desktop format. Building on the success of SSL 2 and SSL 2+ interface models, SSL 12 expands in almost every way; more microphone preamplifiers, enhanced headphone performance, advanced routing and monitor controls, ADAT input as well as next-gen converters delivering superior audio performance.
Quality, Value and Performance
SSL 12 is a high quality, value-based, centerpiece for a home or project-based studio control room. Included are 4 SSL-designed microphone preamplifiers (with Mic/Line and HPF), 2 Hi-Z instrument inputs for guitars, bass or vintage instruments and 2 professional grade headphone outputs along with next-generation 32-bit /192 kHz AD/DA converters — guaranteeing pristine audio at all times. Advanced routing and monitoring options combined with ADAT input supporting 8 additional channels of digital audio offer a total of 12 tracks of simultaneous recording and 8 channels of playback brought together in a rugged, portable design.
Custom SSL Control Room
Contained within its SSL 360° software mixer, SSL 12 features a customisable SSL control room. Here users receive instant feedback from detailed I/O metering, assign functions to SSL 12’s three front panel switches, including key monitor controls; Alternative Monitor Switching, Mono Sum, Invert Phase Left, Dim, Cut, as well as access to an on-board talkback microphone. Creating up to 4 independent near zero-latency foldback mixes is quick and intuitive thanks to its SSL console-style routing and recalling sessions a breeze via Save/Load function. In addition to this, users can choose between modes (Standard, High Impedance, High Sensitivity) to best suit different headphone types or create additional line outputs via re-purposing the headphone outs.
Producers and content creators are catered for with a tool kit to keep creativity flowing. Users can configure where SSL 12’s Loopback feed is taken from: Record the output of a media player (e.g. via Playback 1-2) or create a custom sub-mix of your podcast via one of the Aux Busses (e.g. Line 3-4). Both headphone mixes and line outputs 3-4 are also accessible for absolute production flexibility. In addition to this, electronic music producers and vintage instrument enthusiasts will appreciate the comprehensive control offered by the DC-coupled outputs for creating Control Voltage signals, and MIDI I/O.
SSL Production Pack [it also comes with a 3-month promotional software trial, which you can read about on the site].
- USB bus-powered (with on/off switch), Mac/Windows compatible; power is provided by USB 3.0, audio via USB 2.0
- 4 SSL-designed microphone preamps with unrivaled -130.5dBu EIN performance and enormous 62 dB gain range for a USB-powered device.
- Per-Channel Legacy 4K circuits, providing analogue colour enhancement for any input source (inspired by SSL 4000-series console).
- 2 Hi-Z instrument inputs for guitars, bass or vintage instruments.
- 2 Professional-grade headphone outputs.
- 4 x dedicated balanced outputs and precision Monitor Level, with stunning dynamic range
- Use Outputs 3-4 to connect an alternative monitor set to or as additional line-level outputs.
- DC-coupled for controlling CV input instruments & FX
- 32-bit/192 kHz AD/DA Converters boasting >120 dB line output dynamic range .
- ADAT IN supporting 8 additional channels of digital audio.
- Built-In talkback mic and 3 user-assignable front panel switches to assign monitoring functions / talkback mic operation.
- MIDI I/O.
Price: £333 ex.VAT / €399 + tax / $499